I’ve become more feminist since leaving faith, although I’d prefer to call it pro-women, egalitarianism, pro-humanity, etc. But at the moment, I’m adding another frustration to the mix of societal injustices — biological inequality.
- I was walking out of Target today and felt a strong ache in my abdomen that almost dropped me to my knees. That, in addition to the extremely sharp pain I felt earlier today lasting only a few seconds but making me scream nonetheless, and two days prior of aching and soreness, I’m pretty sure this has to do with changes occurring 10 months postpartum. This is just right now.
- It took me about 6 months to heal from giving birth, and at least 3 more months after that to feel functionally normal.
- Due to hormonal and chemical changes, postpartum depression still plagues me. I’ve been on medication for several months now so my emotions are in check, but its still compromising my immune system. I’ve been sick more in the past 10 months than I have in the last 15 years combined. My immunity used to be stellar. Now, I catch any sickness I come in contact with, and amplified. Along with sickness, I also experience nausea and hot flashes daily.
- Pregnancy + birth + breastfeeding = at least 4 different “chest” sizes requiring a new wardrobe every couple months. Not to mention “chest” pain, tenderness, mastitis (infection), stretch marks, and little teeth biting me while I feed them.
- Pregnancy. Morning sickness (lasting 24 hours), throwing up, nausea, strict diet, insomnia, hot flashes, breathlessness, sleeplessness, constant discomfort, aches, pains, headaches, weird dreams, OMG allllllll sorts of things.
- Labor and delivery. Need I say more?
And for those women who have never/will never have children?:
- Adolescence and puberty. Girls may not have to deal with voice changes or chest hair, but we have a shmell of a lot more goin’ on. And many humiliating stories to go along with it. (Though, why are we humiliated?? Gah).
- Our hormonal cycle is INSANE. And it repeats itself EVERY MONTH. Do you know what hormones effect? EVERYTHING.
I just realized that if I really wanted to document all of the biological differences, this blog would be a book, and there are thousands of books already written on the topic. I guess the purpose of this was to remind each gender reading this that females and males have entirely different lives. And not because of pink or blue, curls or beards, dolls or trucks — this has nothing to do with something that is taught or chosen or discovered. This is biology. Genetics. Something we can never escape from.
Men, every woman you see today, give her a smile. And if she is close enough, a hug. Because she has been through a shmell of a lot. For humanity’s sake.
And women, give yourself a HUGE hug today. You are part of billions, billions of sisters around the globe who all experience bodily hardship. You are not alone. Your suffering and frustration is not unseen. But also know this — We have a superpower. We can GROW humans and FEED them, all from nothing more than letting our incredible bodies do their thing!! (For those of you who have not/cannot have children, this doesn’t undermine your femaleness or sisterhood. All the more power to you for going through such difficult changes on a constant basis! HUGE hug to you!!)
Women, have a chocolate bar, ice cream bowl, cup of tea, mug of coffee, whatever makes you happy to say cheers to your fellow sisterhood!!